Medications, inactivity, poor diet may all play a role in your stomach trouble”
“Listen to your gut” is always a sound advise.. As we age, our digestive system ages like our knee, teeth and eyesight. The good news is that you can control most of it. Lets see how
Lets first focus on culprits and symptoms they cause
· Inactivity and dehydration- constipation
· Multiple medications- nausea, poor taste, stomach pain , diarrhoea
· Weak diaphragm- acidity, heartburn
· Decreased taste buds – less interest in food , or eating strong spices to get taste which leads to acidity
· Decreased energy – to cook and cut fruits & vegeis- poor diet , vitamin deficiencies poor immunity – recurrent infections
So, what to do ?
Stay Hydrated- drink water and eat water-rich foods such as melon, cucumbers, spinach, peppers, strawberries, broccoli, and oranges can help with constipation and general digestion
Walk regularly-Simply get up, go for a gentle walk. Stretching and simple yoga postures ,help beat constipation.. so Get out and your stomach will thank you
Take probiotics , Eat fibers and other gut friendly food- Increasing intake of dietary prebiotics (oats, bananas, leeks, onions, garlic), polyphenols (blueberries, cocoa, green tea) and fermented foods (kefir, kombucha, kimchi, sauerkraut, miso) will all support a healthy gut bacteria environment.
Reduce excess salt and sugar in your food
Avoid processed food
Avoid flatulence , by avoiding dairy products ,if you are lactose intolerant
Check your Medications -consult your physician
Eat small meals, chew properly and eat slowly..
While you can’t stop or turn back time, taking care of your digestive system and health now will have long-term positive effects on your longevity and well-being.
But don’t take our word for it — listen to your gut.